Who we are
Form of employment: Permanent
Start date: Immediate
OnSite with Client in: London (Remote until further notice)
About us www.aubay.co.uk Ahead of Innovation!
AubayUK are a part of Aubay Group, based at Level39 www.level39.co Europe’s foremost FinTech hub in Canary Wharf London. We are recognised as an InSourcing Partner for our client-side deployment – delivered across London. Our clients are globally recognized as Super Majors/ Financial Services and Innovative FinTech players. You will be working remotely initially and thereafter onsite at one End-Client.
Aubay Group www.aubay.com are an international Digital Services Company operating for 21 years in the European market and working alongside some of the biggest names in the Banking, Finance, Insurance, Energy, IT/Digital, Manufacturing, Transport and Telecoms sectors. With over 6200 Employees across 7 countries and within 16 offices in England/France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Italy/Spain and Portugal, Aubay generated revenues of €435 million in 2019. We are listed on a Euronext Stock Exchange.
What we are looking for:
There are certain qualities and 10 character traits we seek in our people and these are aligned with our company values.
- Commitment… doing what it takes for lasting results.
- Together… combining our expertise to create smarter solutions.
- Driven… personally aiming high and wanting better.
- Smart… being innovative and open with ideas and using common sense.
- Passionate… about what you do for the company
- Attitude… positive at all times, we are in customer service
- Aptitude… think outside your comfort zone to create solutions from nothing
- Motivation… striving to be better than before
- Trust… your colleagues and manager will expect you to earn this and retain it
- Integrity… thinking of others and striving for excellence
As the Principal Technical Lead, you will provide technical leadership and architectural design:
- Accountable for the technical design and standards for data products in this company, partnering with the Product Manager to lead implementation. You’ll champion building and improving our engineering culture which may include hands-on support for your team.
- Provide technical leadership for 6-9 other Products, supporting the Technical Leads in those teams (each of which has 6-15 people). In practice, this means you’re accountable for ensuring for defining best practice and ensuring it is properly implemented across these teams.
- Work closely with a wide range of business and IT stakeholders to ensure the correct day-to-day and strategic technical decisions are made, implemented, and documented
- build and maintain motivated teams, ensuring that we recruit the right staff, and develop our staff to the best of their abilities
- protect the team and make sure the team collaborates, communicates and focuses on what is most important
- proactively manage dependencies, overcome obstacles, and get the best value against constraints, including ensuring that trade-offs or technical debt are properly articulated and managed.
Dimensions of the role:
- Typical Experience: 15+ years in IT with 10+ years of building and leading software engineering teams in growing organisations
- Typical Team Size: Core team of 6 platform engineers, plus 7 product Technical Leads and up to 50 indirect reports. Global team – with stakeholders focussed in EU but development teams across UK, India, US, and Australia
- Typical Job Grade of Supervisor/Manager: JG1
- Supporting Energy Global IT Managers and IT Portfolio Managers who own the relationship with trading VPs (JGA/SEG) in multiple regions
- Significant experience working on projects with a diverse range of data types – ‘big data’, high velocity streaming data including IOT, low latency event triggers, longitudinal time series data, etc.
- Strong understanding of data management practices – data engineering and pipeline development, warehousing, storage, lifecycle management, privacy, security etc.
- Excellent C#/.NET and Python skills
- hands on experience with data engineering tooling such as databricks/Spark, ADF, Apache Airflow
- Experience with SQL, document and NoSQL databases.
- Significant experience with Azure Functions, Web Apps, and distributed/ event-driven architecture (event hub, event bus, kafka etc.), ELK, etc.
- 5+ years experience with CI/CD delivery using GIT, VSTS/ADO, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
- A stand out candidate would have practical agile experience in both start-up and enterprise environments
- Not required, but a standout candidate would have an understanding of data used in commodity trading:
- Strong knowledge of trading and market drivers for gas, power, and environmental products, including the importance of fundamentals (supply / demand / capacity / inventory / prices / trades / etc.) in market price movements and potential sources of this data.
- Strong knowledge of fundamental modelling and curve trading, including the use of statistical analysis in predictive models for supply/demand and price forecasting.
- Industrial customer portfolios – forecast generation and analysis, customer constraints, tranche pricing, indexation monitor.
- Risk metrics (for example – exposure, PnL, M2M, VaR, Score cards, stress testing, M2M/PnL explained, incremental VaR) – how they are calculated and how they are used by trading businesses.
- Big picture thinking – correctly diagnosing problems and implementing innovative solutions- You’ll use your technical background to understand the codebase and services in the environment, and how they fit in to the wider Energy picture to ensure that solutions make sense both individually and as part of a larger whole.
- Knowledge of trading related operating environment- You’ll have strong communication and collaboration skills, along with 5+ Years’ experience working in a trading related environment (energy & commodities trading, banking or consultancies) with Front Office Trading Managers.
- Communicating between the technical and non-technical- Able to listen to the needs of technical and business stakeholders and interpret them. Able to manage stakeholders’ expectations and be flexible, is capable of proactive and reactive communication. Facilitates difficult discussions within the team or with diverse senior stakeholders.
- Generate technical design to solve business problems- Well designed systems balance risk, technical and business complexity, cost (including technical debt), and value. Working with technology in this client, or recommending technology we should introduce, you’ll create pragmatic, implementable technical designs.
- Maintaining delivery momentum- You’ll challenge decisions which don’t’ seem right and facilitate the technical decisions your team has to make. Able to facilitate the delivery flow of a team, managing the pace and tempo. Able to actively address internal and external risks, issues and dependencies including where ownership exists outside the team.
- Making the process work- Able to identify and challenge organisational processes of increasing complexity and those processes that are unnecessarily complicated. Able to add value and can coach the organisation to inspect and adapt processes. Guides teams through the implementation of a new process.
- Planning- Understands the environment and is able to prioritise the most important or highest value tasks. Able to use data to inform planning. Able to manage complex internal and external dependencies. Able to provide delivery confidence. Able to remove blockers or impediments that affect the plan and is able to develop a plan for difficult situations. Ensures teams plan appropriately for their own capacity.
- Team dynamics and collaboration- Able to bring people together to form a motivated team. Able to empower delivery teams. Able to help create the right environment for a team to work in. Recognises and deals with issues. Able to facilitate the best team makeup depending on the situation.
About the Client-side deployment:
Our Client, a Super Major, is a Global Energy Company. Around 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries working together to power progress through more and cleaner energy solutions.
Specialties: Upstream/ Downstream, Bio-Fuels, Integrated Gas, New Energies, Chemicals, Energy, and Trading
Becoming one of us:
- 25 Days Annual Leave
- Udemy Training Platform
- All Public Holidays are not required to work
- Free fruit/ hot & soft drinks/ cookies/ candy (If onsite at Level39)
- You’ll become a community member of Level39 giving you access and insight to network amongst peers and learn more about tech trends and events like Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning/ Crypto/ Digital Banking/ Cyber/ Robotic Process Automation/ Internet of Things, among others
- Monthly Socials/ Summer Socials/ Winter Socials
- Time to attend conferences
- Work from home opportunities
- Discount on Wintersports holiday at aero1607.com
- Weekly/ Fortnightly and monthly catch-ups with your assigned Talent Attraction and Retention Consultant at AubayUK for open and honest feedback and support – ensuring smooth onboarding.
- The opportunity to work directly for the Client at the end of the assignment on a permanent basis